Definition of spare tyre in English:
1An extra tyre carried in a motor vehicle for use in case of a puncture.
- By Feb. 23, at least 20 truck and car tires - including spare tires mounted on the front and back of trucks - had been pierced by a sharp instrument, possibly an ice pick.
- Take water and a spare tire, and make sure that someone back at the hotel knows if you're going to try to trek all the way to the Marine landing site.
- Check your spare tire and make sure you have one.
2 informal A roll of fat round a person’s waist.
- I set myself a program of losing weight and getting rid of the spare tyre around the waist.
- Men's health magazines, for example, repeatedly run exhortations containing ways to lose love handles and spare tires so their stomachs will come to resemble those featured prominently on every single self-esteem-battering cover.
- People with serious spare tires around their middle do win bowling tournaments.
Definition of spare tyre in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan