Definition of sparing in English:
Moderate; economical: physicians advised sparing use of the ointment
More example sentences
- Saving money without sparing style helped Peggy and Brad Goodwin of Vancouver, Washington, take the top Bathroom Remodelings prize.
- He makes sparing and intelligent use of special effects.
- I think the only unhealthy drink I've ever seen him consume would be alcohol, and even that only in sparing amounts.
thrifty, economical, frugal, canny, careful, prudent, cautious, abstemious, saving, energy-efficient, energy-saving, fuel-efficient, scrimping, parsimonious;
mean, miserly, niggardly, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheese-paring, ungenerous, penurious, illiberal, close, grasping, Scrooge-like, stinting
North American informal cheap
British vulgar slang tight-arsed, tight as a duck's arse
- Example sentences
- Recognized by natives as a precious resource, timber has been used relatively sparingly throughout.
- Garam masala is in any case always used sparingly.
- Silverman, who has used lasers very sparingly in his practice, has generally not been happy with the results.
Words that rhyme with sparingairing, ballbearing, bearing, Behring, Bering, caring, daring, fairing, file-sharing, hardwearing, pairing, paring, raring, Waring, wearing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan