Moderate; economical: physicians advised sparing use of the ointment
More example sentences
- Saving money without sparing style helped Peggy and Brad Goodwin of Vancouver, Washington, take the top Bathroom Remodelings prize.
- He makes sparing and intelligent use of special effects.
- I think the only unhealthy drink I've ever seen him consume would be alcohol, and even that only in sparing amounts.
thrifty, economical, frugal, canny, careful, prudent, cautious, abstemious, saving, energy-efficient, energy-saving, fuel-efficient, fuel-saving, scrimping, parsimonious;
mean, miserly, niggardly, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheese-paring, ungenerous, penurious, illiberal, close, grasping, Scrooge-like, stinting
North American informal cheap
British vulgar slang tight-arsed, tight as a duck's arse
- Example sentences
- The floor-to-ceiling windows and doors provide the spatial sparingness with a certain noblesse.
- It bursts forth out of this quietude and sparingness.
- Wood must be handled with care, selected with sparingness and used with competence.
Words that rhyme with sparingairing, ballbearing, bearing, Behring, Bering, caring, daring, fairing, file-sharing, hardwearing, pairing, paring, raring, Waring, wearing
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: spar¦ing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.