- 1Shine brightly with flashes of light: her earrings sparkled as she turned her headMore example sentences
glitter, glint, glisten, twinkle, flicker, flash, blink, wink, shimmer, dance, shine, gleam, glow• literary glisterglittering, glinting, glistening, scintillating, twinkling, coruscating, flickering, flashing, shimmering, shimmery, bright, brilliant, iridescent, opalescent, lustrous, dancing, shining, gleaming, glowing• literary glistering
- Her golden hair glistened in the sun, her light blue eyes sparkling brightly.
- Her light skin sparkled and shined from the sun tan lotion she was wearing.
- His dark blue eyes sparkled when the light hit them and his hair was damp and stuck to his face.
- 2Be vivacious and witty: after a glass of wine, she began to sparkleMore example sentencesSynonymsbe lively, be vivacious, be animated, be ebullient, be exuberant, be bubbly, be effervescent, be sparkling, be witty, be brilliant, be enthusiastic, be full of lifedazzling, scintillating, coruscating, exciting, exhilarating, stimulating, invigorating; vivacious, effervescent, lively, vibrant, animated, ebullient, bright; witty, clever
nounBack to top
- 1A glittering flash of light: there was a sparkle in his eyesMore example sentences
- The girl had bright pink hair that dully caught the light, reflecting a million glittering sparkles.
- Glittering jewels and sparkles decorated the front of the dress and contrasted the red ruby that hung against her neck.
- The room is gold and sparkles in the soft light of candles and electricity.
- 2 [mass noun] Vivacity and wit: she’s got a kind of sparkleMore example sentences
vivacity, animation, liveliness, vitality, life, verve, high spirits, exuberance, zest, buoyancy, effervescence, enthusiasm, ardour, energy, vigour, go, elan, gusto, brio, bounce, spirit, spiritedness, dynamism, activity, fire, panache, colour, dash, drive
- His cricket and his personality were marked by charm and sparkle.
- The entire performance was imbued with sparkle and élan.
- She was tiny, pretty, and vivacious, her sparkle compensating for a lack of education.
- More example sentences
- She wore sparkly gold flats that matched the gold stripes on the tie.
- Just as she pulled her hair back and pinned it in place with her favorite sparkly hairpin, the doorbell rang.
- He held something sparkly in his mouth and placed in front of the rabbit.
Middle English: frequentative (verb) or diminutive (noun) of spark1.