1A small Old World woodland hawk that preys on small birds.
- Genus Accipiter, family Accipitridae: many species, in particular the widespread northern sparrowhawk (A. nisus)
More example sentences
- So why cannot hen harriers, sparrowhawks and goshawks be controlled to protect lapwings, curlews, golden plovers and, yes, pheasants and grouse?
- No doubt the element of surprise plays a large part in their capture of prey, but sparrowhawks are capable of performing remarkable pursuits and captures of such fast-flying birds as the redshank.
- Today, dozens of different birds stop by, from goldfinches, tits and sparrowhawks to ducks, doves and pheasants.
Definition of sparrowhawk in:
- The US English dictionary