Words that rhyme with spatat, bat, brat, cat, chat, cravat, drat, expat, fat, flat, frat, gat, gnat, hat, hereat, high-hat, howzat, lat, mat, matt, matte, Montserrat, Nat, outsat, pat, pit-a-pat, plait, plat, prat, Rabat, rat, rat-tat, Sadat, sat, scat, Sebat, shabbat, shat, skat, slat, splat, sprat, stat, Surat, tat, that, thereat, tit-for-tat, vat, whereat
1 (usually spats) historical A short cloth gaiter covering the instep and ankle.
- His father was dressed in a rubber macintosh, with thick domestic gloves, spats, and a trilby hat.
- Flustered, the blonde boy untied his spats, and took off one of his sock-shoes, sort of hopping around on one foot while doing so.
- You can also take off those spats and gauntlets.
Early 19th century: abbreviation of spatterdash.
A quarrel about an unimportant matter: when we had our little spats, he had only to smile to get back on the right side of me
More example sentences
- Almost immediately they run into a pointless spat with local tough guys that spirals into a violent feud.
- They're typical brothers, so they get into these little spats with each other sometimes, and they separate them.
- Soon after we met, Slater was in the papers again after his wife allegedly broke a glass over his head during a violent spat.
verb (spats, spatting, spatted)[no object] Back to top
Early 19th century (originally a US colloquial usage): probably imitative.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan