- A large sheathing bract enclosing the flower cluster of certain plants, especially the spadix of arums and palms.More example sentences
- The flower head consists of a spathe and spadix.
- Four of the five bracts that enclose and protect the plant's spathe and spadix now have fallen.
- Always bitterly exuberant, you see life as a pink spathe swathing a yellow spadix.
late 18th century: via Latin from Greek spathē 'broad blade'.
More definitions of spatheDefinition of spathe in:
- The US English dictionary