- Sterilize (a female animal) by removing the ovaries: the animals must be spayed or neutered before they are given up for adoptionMore example sentences
- Spaying your pet before her first heat will significantly reduce her chances of developing breast cancer later in life.
- By spaying your cat, you can prevent several unwanted behaviors.
- Nearly 71,000 cats and dogs were spayed or neutered over the four-year period.
late Middle English: shortening of Old French espeer 'cut with a sword', from espee 'sword', from Latin spatha (see spathe).
More definitions of spayDefinition of spay in:
- The US English dictionary