- 1A person who concentrates primarily on a particular subject or activity; a person highly skilled in a specific and restricted field: he is a specialist in psychometric testing [with modifier]: the study was undertaken by a market-research specialistMore example sentences
- The law firm was a leading specialist in the new field of information technology.
- Andrew is a specialist in the field who.
- A prerequisite to serving as an expert witness is being qualified and credentialed as a specialist in the field being examined.
- 1.1A person highly trained in a particular branch of medicine: her doctor thought her allergy was psychosomatic, but he sent her to a specialistMore example sentences
- Now more than ever, there is substantial crossover among dentists and other medical specialists in diagnosing various health conditions.
- The world's first formal program to train medical specialists, opened in 1915.
- They are now seeking to appoint a medical specialist through Health Services Australia.
adjectiveBack to top
- 1Possessing or involving detailed knowledge or study of a restricted topic: you may require specialist financial adviceMore example sentences
- Success here is limited, as highly specialist niche knowledge is generally required.
- You need an amount of specialist knowledge.
- Murphy has specialist knowledge of the historical period in which the book is set.
- 1.1 [attributive] Concentrating on a restricted field, market, or area of activity: a specialist electrical shopMore example sentences
- Employers in the financial services sector are slow to recruit marketing candidates from outside their own specialist field.
- Not long ago, technology recruitment was one of the most active, and profitable, specialist areas within the Irish recruitment market.
- Many wine shops reflect glory in some specialist area.
- More example sentences
- We will offer three new specialisms: engineering, science, business & enterprise.
- Having mastered the basics, some engineers follow their interests into specialisms to act as sources of expertise in that area.
- Prison healthcare services are undoubtedly served by highly committed professionals from different specialisms, professions, and agencies.