- Dr. Penney, in his evidence, speculated that the error was a typographical one.
- Researchers speculated that organically grown plants are subject to more environmental challenges and therefore have stronger antioxidant defenses.
- Some speculated that it was, because there was limited evidence that another race had existed there once.
- A hedge fund borrows money to speculate in the stock market.
- Large capitalists can invest in government bonds, or they can speculate in stocks and commodities whose price is soaring due to the inflation.
- Amidst his wife and the other two techies, he has no interest in this new technology, happier taking walks in the quarry by a ruined church than speculating on internet stocks.
Late 16th century: from Latin speculat- 'observed from a vantage point', from the verb speculari, from specula 'watchtower', from specere 'to look'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: specu|late
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.