nounLinguistics & Philosophy
- An utterance considered as an action, particularly with regard to its intention, purpose, or effect.More example sentences
- Any speech act can be performed unconditionally, or conditionally upon something else.
- Here, the narration itself is a speech act which we may call ‘confession.’
- The sense of the pledge as debt implied by both translations suggests that the vow or promise is predicated on a loss already inscribed in the speech act.
More definitions of speech actDefinition of speech act in:
- The US English dictionary