Definition of speech-making in English:
The art or practice of delivering a formal address in public.
- Churchill's wartime speech-making was the stuff of legend.
- Given that much of the organisation is off at conferences this week I am spared speech-making at a farewell afternoon tea.
- The day started at 9am with live music; then the serious business of speech-making started at 11.30 am, under a bright, blue sky.
- Example sentences
- In his maiden speech, in December 1852, he confessed that he was not a speech-maker.
- He is scarcely a competent speech-maker let alone an exciting one.
- He's a better speech-maker than me.
Definition of speech-making in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.