Definition of speech-making in English:
The art or practice of delivering a formal address in public.
- It steered his legal career off into an incredibly successful tangent, and he's since been lauded for his speechmaking abilities, both in and out of character.
- Pericles developed a loyal, if informal, mass constituency of ordinary Athenians through speechmaking in the Assembly.
- His Portland "homecoming" in May 2002 was partly a time for speechmaking, at the invitation of local architecture organizations.
- Example sentences
- He was quiet but witty, and an excellent speechmaker.
- Humour was, understandably, far from the agenda of the speech-makers that day.
- In his maiden speech, in December 1852, he confessed that he was not a speech-maker.
Definition of speech-making in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan