- A phonetically distinct unit of speech.More example sentences
- A vowel is ‘a speech sound produced by the passage of air through the vocal tract with relatively little obstruction, or the corresponding letter of the alphabet’, usually contrasted with consonant.
- A stammerer knows precisely what he wants to say but cannot, for the moment, say it because of an involuntary repetition, prolongation or cessation of the speech sound.
- If the vocal folds vibrate during the production of a speech sound it is said to be voiced.
More definitions of speech soundDefinition of speech sound in:
- The US English dictionary