A form of ice skating in which competitors race against each other, typically around an oval track: she’s a national hero in the Netherlands, where speed skating is the most highly regarded sport of all
More example sentences
- Short track speed skating is a sport that has enjoyed recent notoriety as one of the more exciting and controversial events of the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.
- It was there that speed skating became a major competitive sport.
- Short track speed skating is the most unpredictable of all the Winter Olympic sports where falls come fast and furious.
speed skater noun
- Example sentences
- Neither of the skaters came from a skating family, although Zatzman's grandfather was a speed skater.
- This is the deepest tuck used by serious speed skaters, and probably a bit extreme for the new fitness skater.
- He was a medal-winning speed skater as a teenager but gave that up to go to art school.
Definition of speed skating in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.