- A South African shrub with succulent leaves, which is used for fodder during times of drought.
More example sentences
- Portulacaria afra, family Portulacaceae
- The thick succulent stems of spekboom readily sprout when a freshly-cut branch is simply inserted into soil.
- The more succulent and spiny shrubs such as spekboom and small bitterleaf, which can survive with little moisture and high temperatures, grow inland.
- However, defoliation during winter has a depressing effect on growth, and so as much resting as possible is advisable in winter, particularly in areas in which spekboom has low vigour.
mid 19th century: from Afrikaans, from spek 'bacon' + boom 'tree'.