- 1The process or activity of writing or naming the letters of a word: the books and spelling in my class were too simpleMore example sentences
- But when the activity involved spelling, it was up to me.
- We are not anarchists when it comes to spelling or punctuation of written Standard English.
- For example, the language arts course consists of four subject areas: capitalization, punctuation, word usage and spelling.
- 1.1 [count noun] The way a word is spelled: the spelling of his name was influenced by FrenchMore example sentences
- As a result, hundreds of words have the same spellings in both languages, which also share a battery of Latin affixes.
- Mayo County Council will encourage the use of the Irish language and the use of native Irish spelling of place names in the naming of housing developments.
- We wrote out the correct spelling of his name, along with a phonetic pronunciation.
- 1.2A person’s ability to spell words: her spelling was deplorableMore example sentences
- This is a logical finding, given that spelling is a verbal ability.
- Rapidly deteriorating, Charlie's punctuation and spelling worsen and he prays that he may retain the ability to read and write.
- You can probably tell by my writing, and my spelling and grammar, that I've had some learning since I've been out here.
More definitions of spellingDefinition of spelling in:
- The US English dictionary