noun[mass noun] North American
The exploration of caves, especially as a hobby: Neil spoke of the virginal spelunking in the mountains [as modifier]: a spelunking tour at Luray Caverns
More example sentences
- With lots of grutas or caves, spelunking and cave exploration is also possible in the Yucatan, though is not well developed yet for tourism.
- Although Birmans are a placid, gentle race whose serenity rivals that of the Dalai Lama, they are as capable as the next cat of pulling the occasional caper - wind surfing or spelunking for example.
- Outdoor activities such as kayaking, spelunking and extreme sports have also become popular escapes from the fast pace of modern life.
- Example sentences
- The grotto members are not spelunkers; they are ‘cavers.’
- ‘We are spelunkers, examining stalagmites today,’ Susie tells me, concentrating on the rock formation at her feet.
- Avid spelunkers may spend days or even weeks underground finding connections between vast underground cave systems.
Words that rhyme with spelunkingtrunking
Definition of spelunking in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.