Definition of spelunking in English:
noun[mass noun] North American
The exploration of caves, especially as a hobby: Neil spoke of the virginal spelunking in the mountains [as modifier]: a spelunking tour at Luray Caverns
More example sentences
- With lots of grutas or caves, spelunking and cave exploration is also possible in the Yucatan, though is not well developed yet for tourism.
- Although Birmans are a placid, gentle race whose serenity rivals that of the Dalai Lama, they are as capable as the next cat of pulling the occasional caper - wind surfing or spelunking for example.
- Outdoor activities such as kayaking, spelunking and extreme sports have also become popular escapes from the fast pace of modern life.
- Example sentences
- The grotto members are not spelunkers; they are ‘cavers.’
- ‘We are spelunkers, examining stalagmites today,’ Susie tells me, concentrating on the rock formation at her feet.
- Avid spelunkers may spend days or even weeks underground finding connections between vast underground cave systems.
Words that rhyme with spelunkingtrunking
Definition of spelunking in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan