Definition of spermatogonium in English:
noun (plural spermatogonia /-nɪə/)Biology
A cell produced at an early stage in the formation of spermatozoa, formed in the wall of a seminiferous tubule and giving rise by mitosis to spermatocytes.
- In severely degenerated tubules, only spermatogonia and Sertoli cells were observed, and pachytene spermatocytes sloughing into the lumen were observed.
- The primitive germinal cells are the spermatogonia, which lie peripherally in the tubule wall, outside the barrier of Sertoli cell junctions.
- In the testis, these cells are termed the spermatogonia.
- Example sentences
- Because they can now grow spermatogonial stem cells in culture, researchers have a ready source of cells that they could manipulate genetically, explained the study's senior author.
- A maximum of 50 offspring were tested from each ENU-treated male to prevent the recovery of identical mutations from the limited population of spermatogonial stem cells.
- At the apical end of the testes, stem cells divide to produce a spermatogonial cell that undergoes four rounds of mitosis to produce 16 primary spermatocytes.
Definition of spermatogonium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia