- A protein capsule containing a mass of spermatozoa, transferred during mating in various insects, arthropods, cephalopod molluscs, etc..More example sentences
- A male produces spermatophores that it transfers to the female's genital pore by means of a specialized arm or tentacle.
- Shortly after she stops feeding on the gland, the female reaches back, removes the spermatophore, and eats it, thus preventing the transfer of any remaining sperm.
- However, collaborative females had difficulties mounting males, taking spermatophores and/or ovipositing.
More definitions of spermatophoreDefinition of spermatophore in:
- The US English dictionary