Definition of sphenoid in English:
(also sphenoid bone) A compound bone which forms the base of the cranium, behind the eye and below the front part of the brain. It has two pairs of broad lateral ‘wings’ and a number of other projections, and contains two air-filled sinuses.
- A large groove (sinus of Breschet) may occur on the intracranial face, parallel to the coronal suture and extending from the bregma to the lesser wing of the sphenoid.
- Another such feature are the deep internasal cavities on either side of the sphenoid.
- Metastasis to the brain can occur by way of Batson's plexus or by direct extension from adjacent structures such as the sphenoid bone or sinuses.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the sphenoid bone.
- The maxillary sinus is most commonly involved; however, most patients with radiologic maxillary sinusitis have abnormalities of the ethmoid and sphenoid sinuses.
- Magnetic resonance imaging showed a mass bilaterally in the nasopharynx and the sphenoid sinuses.
- Its accuracy, however, is questionable in suspected ethmoid, frontal, or sphenoid involvement.
- Example sentences
- Branches of the nasal nerve have been described passing to the frontal, ethmoidal, and sphenoidal sinuses.
- The middle meningeal gives rise, in about 50% of cases, to an accessory meningeal artery, which also enters the skull via the foramen ovale, or the emissary sphenoidal foramen.
- The ophthalmic artery may be associated with the development of a branch of the lacrimal artery that passes through the sphenoidal fissure to anastomose with the middle meningeal artery.
Definition of sphenoid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan