noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A basic compound which is a constituent of a number of substances important in the metabolism of nerve cells, especially sphingomyelins.
More example sentences
- A crystalline alcohol; chemical formula: C18H37NO2
- Sphingolipids are composed of a backbone of sphingosine which is derived itself from glycerol.
- It is, in principle, possible that sphingosine could be involved in the regulation of gene expression and signal transduction.
- Amino acylation, with a long chain fatty acid, at carbon 2 of sphingosine yields a ceramide.
More definitions of sphingosineDefinition of sphingosine in:
- The US English dictionary