- 1.1An ancient Egyptian stone figure having a lion’s body and a human or animal head, especially the huge statue near the Pyramids at Giza.More example sentences
- They were going to see the sphinx and come back with souvenirs.
- The building with the sphinx and obelisks in the center housed Akoun's Beautiful Orient with its bazaar offering wares from the Middle East.
- When the sphinx was crumbling they finally repaired it in plaster, which needs replacing every five years, in order to maintain the point of decay, and clarify the difference.
- 1.2An enigmatic or inscrutable person: it drove him mad when she turned herself into a sphinx as a ruse to avoid facing the truthMore example sentences
- The shy, introverted Gandhi, once described as a sphinx and an enigma, has come a long way in the past six years.
- 2 North American term for hawkmoth.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek Sphinx, apparently from sphingein 'draw tight'.
More definitions of sphinxDefinition of sphinx in:
- The US English dictionary