- Difficult to interpret or understand; inscrutable: Hughes will forever remain a sphinx-like enigma a sphinx-like smileMore example sentences
- He mystified observers by maintaining a sphinxlike silence - he is still studying the report, said a staffer.
- Ask Fossett to explain his motivation and he is characteristically sphinxlike.
- Eliot's willingness to put aside his Sphinx-like mask may have led him to say too much, but it seems churlish to hold that against him.
More definitions of sphinx-likeDefinition of sphinx-like in:
- The US English dictionary