Definition of sphygmomanometer in English:
An instrument for measuring blood pressure, typically consisting of an inflatable rubber cuff which is applied to the arm and connected to a column of mercury next to a graduated scale, enabling the determination of systolic and diastolic blood pressure by increasing and gradually releasing the pressure in the cuff.
- All sphygmomanometers had calibrated mercury columns and were of standard size.
- At each examination, the local investigators measured blood pressure once, using a mercury sphygmomanometer and with the patient sitting.
- Sitting blood pressure was measured by mercury sphygmomanometer after five minutes' rest.
- Example sentences
- Heart rate, oxygen saturation, and blood pressure were recorded by electrocardiography, pulse oximetry, and sphygmomanometry, respectively.
- A total of 19 attending physicians were assessed for ability in measuring PP by sphygmomanometry and by palpation.
- Although it will be some years before any move is made to replace the millimetre of mercury, we must prepare for changes in clinical sphygmomanometry.
Definition of sphygmomanometer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan