- An instrument for measuring blood pressure, typically consisting of an inflatable rubber cuff which is applied to the arm and connected to a column of mercury next to a graduated scale, enabling the determination of systolic and diastolic blood pressure by increasing and gradually releasing the pressure in the cuff.More example sentences
- All sphygmomanometers had calibrated mercury columns and were of standard size.
- At each examination, the local investigators measured blood pressure once, using a mercury sphygmomanometer and with the patient sitting.
- Sitting blood pressure was measured by mercury sphygmomanometer after five minutes' rest.
- More example sentences
- Heart rate, oxygen saturation, and blood pressure were recorded by electrocardiography, pulse oximetry, and sphygmomanometry, respectively.
- A total of 19 attending physicians were assessed for ability in measuring PP by sphygmomanometry and by palpation.
- Although it will be some years before any move is made to replace the millimetre of mercury, we must prepare for changes in clinical sphygmomanometry.
More definitions of sphygmomanometerDefinition of sphygmomanometer in:
- The US English dictionary