Definition of spicula in English:
noun (plural spiculae /-liː/)technical
1A hard, pointed projection on part of a plant or animal; a spine or prickle.
- In certain genera with a simple spike this is clearly proved by the structure of the terminal flower or spicula.
- Others are barbed like the spicula of a bee's sting.
- The prickly ash is armed with spiculae, like the locust.
1.1A sharp-pointed crystalline structure.
- The spiculae of hoar frost were of all lengths, from an inch downward.
- The frozen moisture may fall in spiculae or crystals of ice.
- We have only to suppose, the particles which are employed in crystallization, to be endowed with a tendency to form spiculae.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan