Definition of spindle-shanks in English:
plural nouninformal, dated
1.1 [treated as singular] A person with long thin legs.
- The latter role is danced by Alain Honorez, a spindle-shanks of towering talents and demonic energy, who almost (but not quite) upstaged the leads with his dazzling display of movement.
- 1spindle-shanked adjective
- Example sentences
- The figure of Horatio Nelson, slender, one-armed, eccentric, spindle-shanked and awkward, bestrides our naval history.
- A spindle-shanked figure came into view, bent against the wind.
- He suffered from poor digestion, and is said to have been spindle-shanked.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.