Definition of spinet in English:
1 historical A small harpsichord with the strings set obliquely to the keyboard, popular in the 18th century.
- In the spinet, the strings run obliquely away from the player, producing a wing-shaped case, or a trapezoid case in smaller instruments.
- Sarah was fond of music and played the spinet (a musical instrument like a small harpsichord).
- It will include harpists, a soprano soloist accompanied by the flute and spinet and music by Mozart as well as other lesser-known composers.
2US A type of small upright piano.
- These baby baby grands and tiny spinets produce three octaves from hammers hitting metal rods.
- Two pictures feature color TV sets, and one couple poses in front of a spinet piano, a very rare object in a Chinese household.
- According to her artist's statement, when she was a young girl, she demanded a piano; her parents bought a spinet piano for her, and her nursery school teacher gave her instruction.
Definition of spinet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan