- A household machine for spinning yarn with a spindle driven by a wheel attached to a crank or treadle.More example sentences
- Steven Hahn's study of counties in northern Georgia indicates that seven of ten households had spinning wheels and looms, and one in ten heads of free households was an artisan.
- By the eve of the Revolution, eighty to ninety percent of rural households owned spinning wheels, and almost half owned looms.
- After a few other steps, women put the flax fibers on the spinning wheel, bleached the thread with water and ashes, wove it on a loom and bleached the linen again in the sun.
More definitions of spinning wheelDefinition of spinning wheel in:
- The US English dictionary