(also spirits of wine)
noun[mass noun] • archaic
- Purified alcohol.More example sentences
- However translations of far older Indian and Chinese medical documents mention products that would need spirits of wine to produce.
- This was purified and dried and when digested with spirits of wine gave the mauve dye.
- Robert Boyle's observation in the 1650s that decomposition of animal and human tissues could be prevented by immersing them in spirits of wine was a notable advance.
More definitions of spirit of wineDefinition of spirit of wine in:
- The US English dictionary