adjective• formal or • archaic
- Containing much alcohol; distilled: spirituous beveragesMore example sentences
- The current occupant of the White House, we all know is a tee-totaler, but previous Presidents have been well-known for their spirituous preferences.
- Insects crawled freely around the cracks in the walls, and across the bottles of spirituous beverages.
- An overflow crowd, clearly inebriated by spirituous drink, literally gathered around the field and scaled nearby trees to watch the game.
late 16th century (in the sense 'spirited, lively'): from Latin spiritus 'spirit' + -ous, or from French spiritueux.
More definitions of spirituousDefinition of spirituous in:
- The US English dictionary