An African cobra that defends itself by spitting venom from the fangs, typically at the aggressor’s eyes.
- Genera Naja and Hemachatus, family Elapidae: three species, in particular the black-necked spitting cobra (N. nigricollis).
More example sentences
- And snakes like the African black-necked spitting cobra, which can blind you with a well-aimed snootful of toxin, could conceivably do you in.
- If ever you're confronted by a spitting cobra (common in Africa and Asia) stand back at least 10 feet and protect your eyes.
- ‘No,’ I said; then, ‘Wait, the spitting cobra, if the venom hits your eyes it'll be absorbed through the capillaries.’
More definitions of spitting cobraDefinition of spitting cobra in:
- The US English dictionary