Definition of spittle in English:
Saliva, especially as ejected from the mouth.
- Watching him perform, spittle flying from his mouth, veins bulging and neck tendons taut as wires, I hope that performance is catharsis for him.
- His face was redder than the tomatoes he was squashing under foot and spittle flew from his mouth as he lumbered toward his wife.
- During the subsequent backlash, he lost his rag and threw a total hissy fit, complete with flecks of spittle flying from his mouth.
late 15th century: alteration of dialect spattle, by association with spit1.
- Example sentences
- She called his name but he didn't answer, emitting instead a strained, spittly whistle.
- Energy is what I'm missing, that raw, spittly, unsocialized fizz that only an overexcited nerd can produce.
- When told they need to prove their need for emergency service, the elderly man explodes in spittly geriatric fury.
Definition of spittle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan