- A layer of tissue in a vertebrate embryo comprising the endoderm and the inner layer of mesoderm, and giving rise to the gut, lungs, and yolk sac. Often contrasted with somatopleure.More example sentences
- Mobilization of calcium from the yolk begins early in embryonic chickens and is facilitated by the calcium binding protein calbindin-D28K in endodermal cells of the yolk splanchnopleure.
- The splanchnopleure, which lies on the endoblast, takes part in the formation of the wall of the digestive tube.
- The yolk sac forms as the splanchnopleure surrounds the yolk.
late 19th century: from Greek splankhna 'entrails' + pleura 'side'.
More definitions of splanchnopleureDefinition of splanchnopleure in:
- The US English dictionary