Definition of splendid in English:
- It is only understandable that she should choose to have such a splendid and impressive nuptial.
- However, the legacy he has left is impressive and his many splendid works of fiction will endure for a very long time to come.
- Work up an appetite in the beautiful pool, or soak up splendid views of the North Sea coast.
- I have had the privilege of meeting Brendan, and he is a really nice chap, a splendid fellow.
- I have come with these splendid fellows whom I met at a Party to which I was invited.
- Now we have a swimming pool, a marvellous garden and a splendid folly.
Early 17th-century examples of splendid, which comes ultimately from Latin splendere ‘to shine brightly’, describe a grand place or occasion. The phrase splendid isolation was first used at the end of the 19th century to refer to the diplomatic and commercial non-involvement of Great Britain in Europe.
- Used to emphasize the isolation of a person or thing: the stone stands in splendid isolation near the moorland road[ Late 19th century: first applied to the period of 1890–1907 when Britain pursued a policy of diplomatic and commercial non-involvement]More example sentences
- We are here as a senior club in an area of splendid isolation in a sense.
- We preferred to decline in splendid isolation rather than prosper in a mundane community of Continentals under the Treaty of Rome which set up the European Economic Community.
- ‘It stands in splendid isolation,’ the tome says of an accomplishment deemed ‘the greatest single achievement in the long Rangers story’.
- [as submodifier]: a splendidly ornate styleMore example sentences
- This is a splendidly illustrated and richly detailed book about an institution firmly rooted in the English tradition.
- The injection of tricks into this exaggerated style of b-ball works splendidly.
- He has produced not only an extremely readable account of Keynes's work but also a splendidly clear and succinct treatment of the major issues.
- Example sentences
- A happy-go-lucky soliloquy on the splendidness of breasts is illuminated with a veritable taxonomy of sweater puppets.
- Anyway, there's that load of splendidness and then the DVD ends with the video for Beautiful Stranger - in which she wears too much fake tan but it's likeable enough.
- Now that we got introductions out of the way, we will be on the road to splendidness together, I think.
Words that rhyme with splendidintended, unamended, unapprehended, unattended, unblended, undefended, untended
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.