Definition of splendid in English:
- It is only understandable that she should choose to have such a splendid and impressive nuptial.
- However, the legacy he has left is impressive and his many splendid works of fiction will endure for a very long time to come.
- Work up an appetite in the beautiful pool, or soak up splendid views of the North Sea coast.
- I have had the privilege of meeting Brendan, and he is a really nice chap, a splendid fellow.
- I have come with these splendid fellows whom I met at a Party to which I was invited.
- Now we have a swimming pool, a marvellous garden and a splendid folly.
Early 17th-century examples of splendid, which comes ultimately from Latin splendere ‘to shine brightly’, describe a grand place or occasion. The phrase splendid isolation was first used at the end of the 19th century to refer to the diplomatic and commercial non-involvement of Great Britain in Europe.
- Used to emphasize the isolation of a person or thing: the stone stands in splendid isolation near the moorland road[ late 19th century: first applied to the period of 1890–1907 when Britain pursued a policy of diplomatic and commercial non-involvement]More example sentences
- We are here as a senior club in an area of splendid isolation in a sense.
- We preferred to decline in splendid isolation rather than prosper in a mundane community of Continentals under the Treaty of Rome which set up the European Economic Community.
- ‘It stands in splendid isolation,’ the tome says of an accomplishment deemed ‘the greatest single achievement in the long Rangers story’.
- [as submodifier]: a splendidly ornate styleMore example sentences
- This is a splendidly illustrated and richly detailed book about an institution firmly rooted in the English tradition.
- The injection of tricks into this exaggerated style of b-ball works splendidly.
- He has produced not only an extremely readable account of Keynes's work but also a splendidly clear and succinct treatment of the major issues.
- Example sentences
- A happy-go-lucky soliloquy on the splendidness of breasts is illuminated with a veritable taxonomy of sweater puppets.
- Anyway, there's that load of splendidness and then the DVD ends with the video for Beautiful Stranger - in which she wears too much fake tan but it's likeable enough.
- Now that we got introductions out of the way, we will be on the road to splendidness together, I think.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.