1Bad-tempered; spiteful: a splenetic rant
More example sentences
- We are further told that Finkelstein's book ‘reads like a rant, with splenetic attacks on individuals, many of them survivors, and vast generalisations about the whole of world Jewry.’
- It's anyone's guess, then, why he leaves his instruments dormant for much of this show in favour of splenetic rants and ruthless aggression towards his increasingly miserable audience.
- Yet Tyerman's frustration can sometimes lead to splenetic rants.
bad-tempered, ill-tempered, ill-humoured, angry, wrathful, cross, peevish, petulant, pettish, irritable, irascible, cantankerous, choleric, dyspeptic, testy, tetchy, snappish, waspish, crotchety, crabby, crabbed, querulous, resentful, rancorous, bilious, sour, bitter, acid, liverish;
- sense 1.More example sentences
- Some of the more splenetically strident are positively screaming for someone to tell them on DPF's comments board, the identity of our next attacker.
- He's no fan of children, never bothering to moderate his splenetically obscene manner of speaking when they're around.
- In the scene of Jo's death, for example, it is Esther who recites the Lord's Prayer and John Jarndyce who splenetically explodes with the third-person narrator's rage.