noun[mass noun] • historical
- The supposed production of living organisms from non-living matter, as inferred from the apparent appearance of life in some supposedly sterile environments.More example sentences
- The intense arguments for and against the concept of spontaneous generation spurred on the developments in the field.
- The origin of living beings is initially through spontaneous generation.
- The further science progresses, the more unlikely spontaneous generation seems.
More definitions of spontaneous generationDefinition of spontaneous generation in:
- The US English dictionary