Definition of sporangium in English:
noun (plural sporangia spəˈrandʒɪə)Botany
(In ferns and lower plants) a receptacle in which asexual spores are formed.
- Thousands of sporangia were also collected on a moss covered decaying conifer log on a ground site at night with the use of a flashlight.
- In each case, fragments of lamina were collected with mature but closed sporangia.
- The fungus can be identified microscopically by the production of its reproductive structures: the sporangiophores and sporangia.
- Example sentences
- The genera are characterized by the sporangiophore and sporangial features and their relationship to and appearance of the rhizoid structures.
- The cone axis is not visible, but the sporangial clusters appear to be arranged spirally.
- However, closer evaluation of sporangial shape shows clearly that there is more variation within the genus than was previously suspected.
Definition of sporangium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan