Definition of sporangium in English:
noun (plural sporangia spəˈrandʒɪə)Botany
(In ferns and lower plants) a receptacle in which asexual spores are formed.
- Thousands of sporangia were also collected on a moss covered decaying conifer log on a ground site at night with the use of a flashlight.
- In each case, fragments of lamina were collected with mature but closed sporangia.
- The fungus can be identified microscopically by the production of its reproductive structures: the sporangiophores and sporangia.
- Example sentences
- The genera are characterized by the sporangiophore and sporangial features and their relationship to and appearance of the rhizoid structures.
- The cone axis is not visible, but the sporangial clusters appear to be arranged spirally.
- However, closer evaluation of sporangial shape shows clearly that there is more variation within the genus than was previously suspected.
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek spora 'spore' + angeion 'vessel'.
Definition of sporangium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.