Definition of sportsman in English:
noun (plural sportsmen)
1A man who takes part in a sport, especially as a professional.
- An athlete and sportsman, he played football (as a goalkeeper), skied and was an avid theatregoer, at one time he even considered becoming an actor.
- The Super 12 is a brutally tough competition, but the reality of being professional sportsmen is you've got to take the heat when you don't perform.
- I have no objection to professional sportsmen but I don't think they derive the same pleasure from their exertions as the people who play sport primarily for enjoyment.
1.1 dated A man who hunts or shoots wild animals as a pastime.
- Among the draperies and furniture upholstered in this redundancy of plaids are other tropes of the sportsman's lodge - chandeliers, racks of antlers, hunting prints framed in plaids.
- Hemingway was a keen sportsman but he was fond of blood sports.
- A ‘gillie’, by the by, was originally an attendant on a Highland chief, but by the nineteenth century was a sportsman's attendant.
- Example sentences
- Accept the defeat and give credit to your opponent in a sportsmanlike manner.
- We're all adults here and I think everyone is sportsmanlike and takes it all in stride.
- Afterwards, all the contenders did the sportsmanlike thing and praised each other.
- Example sentences
- Then I accept, confidant that the loser will act with the utmost dignified show of sportsmanship.
- We assimilate the most profound values of our culture through play, and we learn excellence, humility, teamwork, and sportsmanship.
- But being part of the program taught her even more about teamwork, social responsibility, and good sportsmanship.
Words that rhyme with sportsmansportsmen
Definition of sportsman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan