Definition of spot-fixing in English:
(In sport) the action or practice of dishonestly determining the outcome of a specific part of a match or game before it is played: some of them were allegedly involved in spot-fixing in the recently concluded Test match series [as modifier]: the latest spot-fixing allegations
More example sentences
- For anyone who thought spot fixing was a bad dream that could be overcome with the suspension of three cricketers, think again.
- The International Cricket Council has set a January date for a hearing into spot-fixing charges against three Pakistan cricketers.
- Spot fixing has emerged as the latest threat to the integrity of cricket after the match-fixing scandal which rocked the game 10 years ago.
- Example sentences
- A player looked on as the assistant manager and manager of Pakistan's cricket team read an article Sunday about spot-fixing games in London.
- There is no suggestion either player deliberately threw a game - the allegations suggested they may have 'spot-fixed' certain controllable elements of a match such as the amount of wides and no-balls bowled.
- The NoTW alleged that the last test match at Lords was spot-fixed.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan