- A common Eurasian orchid with spotted leaves and flowers varying from purple to white, with darker markings on the lip.
More example sentences
- Genus Dactylorhiza, family Orchidaceae: several species, in particular the common spotted orchid (D. fuchsii), which grows chiefly on calcareous soils, and the heath spotted orchid (D. maculata), of damp acid soils
- The beacon site has been colonised by common spotted orchids and the flowers will be in full bloom when the event takes place in July.
- The striking white and pale blue common spotted orchids were a flowering treasure in the wilderness of the old line between Hull and Hornsea.
- Over 103 species of grasses and herbs have been recorded in the meadows including green-winged orchid, common spotted orchid, adder's tongue, pepper-saxifrage, yellow rattle and saw-wort.