Definition of sprat in English:
1A small marine fish of the herring family, widely caught for food and fish products.
- Sprattus and other genera, family Clupeidae: several species, in particular S. sprattus of European inshore waters
- However, they are now firmly identified, at least so far as Britain is concerned, as the fry of various fish of the herring family, but mainly of the herring itself and the sprat.
- Others say it's the healthy levels of sprat and herring which are providing them with plenty of food.
- Clupeid fish, like herring, anchovies, and sprats, can detect sound frequencies up to around 40 kilohertz, way beyond the hearing range of most other fish.
1.1Any of a number of small fishes that resemble the true sprats, e.g. the sand eel.
- ‘Wild puffins normally eat live whitebait, sprats and sand eels which they dive in the sea for,’ said Mrs Platts.
- The crabs, which are natural scavengers, are being fed with dead sand eels and sprats.
verb (sprats, spratting, spratted)[no object] Back to top
late 16th century: variant of Old English sprot, of unknown origin.
a sprat to catch a mackerel
- British A small outlay or risk ventured in the hope of a significant return.Example sentences
- We will use what we call leverage - using a sprat to catch a mackerel.
- He pointed out the police could have arrested him after the handover in the pub car park but Mr Lithman added: ‘Because the police wanted to use him as a sprat to catch a mackerel he now has to pay an inflated price.’
- Actually, it's probably a sprat to catch a mackerel since they have plenty more stuff that they haven't made available.
Words that rhyme with spratat, bat, brat, cat, chat, cravat, drat, expat, fat, flat, frat, gat, gnat, hat, hereat, high-hat, howzat, lat, mat, matt, matte, Montserrat, Nat, outsat, pat, pit-a-pat, plait, plat, prat, Rabat, rat, rat-tat, Sadat, sat, scat, Sebat, shabbat, shat, skat, slat, spat, splat, stat, Surat, tat, that, thereat, tit-for-tat, vat, whereat
Definition of sprat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan