noun (plural spreiten or spreites)Palaeontology
- A banded pattern of uncertain origin found in the infill of the burrows of certain fossil invertebrates.More example sentences
- In the latter two ichnotaxa, the vertical spreite in the distal part of the structure is generated by the retrusive, axial migration of an upper, upward bending J-shaped tube.
- Planolites, Diplocraterion and vertical and inclined burrows with spreite are common.
- Sheeted traces with curved spreite have been described as Heimdallia from mid-Palaeozoic coarse sandstone units in the Beacon Supergroup and the Tumblagooda Sandstone.
1960s: from German Spreite 'layer, lamina'.
More definitions of spreiteDefinition of spreite in:
- The US English dictionary