1 (South African also springbuck) A gazelle with a characteristic habit of leaping (pronking) when disturbed, forming large herds on plains in southern Africa.
- Antidorcas marsupialis, family Bovidae
More example sentences
- Afterwards, I sit on my terrace and watch what may be kudus, springboks or oryxes amble to the water hole.
- We have impalas and springboks here at the zoo.
- Young springbok leap across our path during a canter through light sand dotted with grassy tufts.
late 18th century: from Afrikaans, from Dutch springen 'to spring' + bok 'antelope'.
Definition of springbok in:
- The US English dictionary