Definition of springer in English:
1 (also springer spaniel) A small spaniel of a breed originally used to spring game. There are two main breeds, the English springer, typically black and white or brown and white, and the less common red and white Welsh springer.
- The dog, a springer spaniel called Sasha, was unhurt.
- Like most other dog handlers, PC Ware has two dogs, an Alsatian for general duties and a springer spaniel, Murphy, who is trained to seek-out drugs and retrieve hidden weapons.
- HMS Monmouth has a new recruit in the fight against drugs traffickers - a springer spaniel named Caspar.
3A cow or heifer near to calving: for sale—two Friesian springers, first and second calvers
More example sentences
- The springers need to be rounded up and brought in.
- The growth of the super dairies with 1,000 cows or more has created a good market for springers - replacement heifers due to calve soon.
4South African Any of a number of fish noted for leaping out of the water, in particular:
- Congratulations are extended to Rob Shepard who landed his first springer recently and repeated the experience the following morning while fishing on the River Moy in Foxford recently.
- A few hardy anglers on the Perthshire water will be in search of a precious early-season springer.
- Although spring catches have been down in recent years, more than 200 springers have been caught this season so far, which is three times as many as the same period last year.
Definition of springer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan