- 1 (also springer spaniel) A small spaniel of a breed originally used to spring game. There are two main breeds, the English springer, typically black and white or brown and white, and the less common red and white Welsh springer.More example sentences
- The dog, a springer spaniel called Sasha, was unhurt.
- Like most other dog handlers, PC Ware has two dogs, an Alsatian for general duties and a springer spaniel, Murphy, who is trained to seek-out drugs and retrieve hidden weapons.
- HMS Monmouth has a new recruit in the fight against drugs traffickers - a springer spaniel named Caspar.
- 3A cow or heifer near to calving: for sale—two Friesian springers, first and second calversMore example sentences
- The springers need to be rounded up and brought in.
- The growth of the super dairies with 1,000 cows or more has created a good market for springers - replacement heifers due to calve soon.
- 4South African Any of a number of fish noted for leaping out of the water, in particular:More example sentences
- Congratulations are extended to Rob Shepard who landed his first springer recently and repeated the experience the following morning while fishing on the River Moy in Foxford recently.
- A few hardy anglers on the Perthshire water will be in search of a precious early-season springer.
- Although spring catches have been down in recent years, more than 200 springers have been caught this season so far, which is three times as many as the same period last year.
More definitions of springerDefinition of springer in:
- The US English dictionary