(also springhaas /ˈsprɪŋhɑːs/)
noun (plural springhares or springhaas)
- A large nocturnal burrowing rodent resembling a miniature kangaroo, with a rabbit-like head, a long bushy tail, and long hindlimbs, native to southern Africa.
More example sentences
- Pedetes capensis, the only member of the family Pedetidae
- The springhaas, the only member of this family, is a peculiar, large, rabbit- or kangaroo-like rodent inhabiting arid lands of southern Africa.
- If you go on a night drive you'd be most unlucky not to see the glinting eyes of springhares which, despite their resemblance to rabbit-sized kangaroos, are in fact true rodents.
More definitions of springhareDefinition of springhare in:
- The US English dictionary