- 1A sail extended by a sprit.More example sentences
- Three sails are carried on the bowsprit along with the spritsail that hangs from the spritsail yard.
- Sails named for parts of the ship include gaff sails, jib-headed sails, spritsails, and lateen and lugsails.
- The spritsail flapped emptily and the boat righted to an even keel, causing the two men swiftly to change position.
- 1.1A sail extended by a yard set under a ship’s bowsprit.More example sentences
- The spritsail was a simple triangular sail, whose leading edge was fastened to the mast by a rope.
- Most of the small coastal vessels have spritsails which was the commonest rig for small vessels at this period.
- During the reign of Henry the Eighth, ships with two and three masts carried main and top sails, lateen mizzen sails and spritsails set under the bowsprit.
More definitions of spritsailDefinition of spritsail in:
- The US English dictionary