- A herbaceous plant or shrub with milky latex and very small, typically greenish, flowers. Many kinds are cultivated as ornamentals and some are of commercial importance.
More example sentences
- Genus Euphorbia, family Euphorbiaceae: numerous species
- ‘Wortflower’ and ‘wortgrass’ were local names for buttercup and petty spurge, plants that were believed to cure warts.
- Mrs. Robb's spurge is a delightful evergreen perennial that will flourish in deep dry shade.
- Leafy spurge, for example, is not a problematic weed in its Eurasian homeland.
late Middle English: shortening of Old French espurge, from espurgier, from Latin expurgare 'cleanse' (because of the purgative properties of the milky latex).
More definitions of spurgeDefinition of spurge in:
- The US English dictionary