Definition of squabble in English:
A noisy quarrel about something trivial: family squabbles
More example sentences
- We've survived distance, illness and family squabbles and with every challenge we overcome, we get a little closer.
- He doesn't have time for his family's petty squabbles, or lounging around in bars with his mates.
- During a family squabble, my parents told us exactly how ‘disappointed’ they were in us.
quarrel, row, argument, fight, contretemps, disagreement, difference of opinion, dissension, falling-out, dispute, disputation, contention, clash, altercation, shouting match, exchange, war of words;
Irish , North American , & Australian donnybrook
British informal , Football afters
Scottish informal rammy
North American informal rhubarb
Scottish archaic threap, collieshangie
French archaic tracasserie(s)
verb[no object] Back to top
Quarrel noisily over a trivial matter: the boys were squabbling over a ball
More example sentences
- We already have too many boys squabbling over too many toys.
- It's fun to watch when the candidates start arguing between themselves, squabbling like petty children.
- Our four-year-old twins (age gap: two minutes) have fought and squabbled since they grasped the concept of owning anything.
quarrel, row, argue, bicker, have a row/fight, fight, fall out, disagree, fail to agree, differ, be at odds, have a misunderstanding, be at variance, have words, dispute, spar, wrangle, bandy words, cross swords, lock horns, be at each other's throats, be at loggerheads
Scottish archaic threap
early 17th century: probably imitative; compare with Swedish dialect skvabbel 'a dispute'.
- Example sentences
- In return, Auckland City has been governed by petty squabblers who indulge in personal attacks on each other.
- This week it's The Taming of the Shrew, Franco Zeffirelli's 1967 adaptation of Shakespeare's comedy about two squabblers (Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton) who fall in love.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan