noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
An oily liquid hydrocarbon which occurs in shark liver oil and human sebum, and is a metabolic precursor of sterols.
- A triterpenoid; chemical formula: C30H50
More example sentences
- Sebum is produced in the sebaceous glands and consists of glycerides, wax esters, squalene, and cholesterol.
- Approximately 80% of the cholesterol in your blood is synthesized in your liver from squalene.
- Human sebaceous glands secrete a lipid mixture of mainly triglycerides, wax esters, free fatty acids, and squalene.
Definition of squalene in:
- The US English dictionary