Definition of squalid in English:
1(Of a place) extremely dirty and unpleasant, especially as a result of poverty or neglect: the squalid, overcrowded prison
More example sentences
- His room was squalid and packed with dirty clothes.
- He lives with five of his family in two tiny squalid rooms for which he pays 10,000 of the 15,000 dinars he earns a month.
- Some 1.2 million people have been displaced so far and are forced to live in squalid camps set up by the army to protect them from abductions.
dirty, filthy, grubby, grimy, mucky, slummy, slum-like, foul, vile, low, poor, sorry, wretched, dismal, dingy, miserable, mean, nasty, seedy, shabby, sordid, sleazy, insalubrious, slovenly, repulsive, disgusting;
neglected, uncared-for, unmaintained, broken-down, run down, down at heel, dilapidated, ramshackle, tumbledown, gone to rack and ruin, crumbling, decaying
British informal grotty
North American informal shacky
1.1Showing or involving a contemptible lack of moral standards: a squalid attempt to save themselves from electoral embarrassment
More example sentences
- His kindness and moral generosity I found uplifting in today's squalid world of denigration, spin and hypocrisy.
- Nobody comes well out of this squalid affair, but he emerges in a worse light than most.
- The history of trade negotiations is littered with hypocritical rhetoric and squalid deals.
improper, sordid, unseemly, unsavoury, sleazy, seedy, seamy, shoddy, vile, foul, tawdry, louche, cheap, base, low, low-minded, nasty, debased, degenerate, depraved, corrupt, dishonest, dishonourable, disreputable, despicable, discreditable, disgraceful, contemptible, ignominious, ignoble, shameful, wretched, abhorrent, odious, abominable, disgusting
Late 16th century: from Latin squalidus, from squalere 'be rough or dirty'.
- Example sentences
- Just because no one perceived irregularities in his work before his conviction does not mean that the books are not squalidly consistent with his crimes.
Words that rhyme with squalidsolid, stolid
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan