Definition of square leg in English:
1A fielding position level with the batsman approximately halfway towards the boundary on the leg side.
- The fifth-wicket pair were finally parted by a moment of carelessness, Sutton turning for a second after Bresnan misfielded at square leg, but the batsman could not beat Bresnan's throw to the wicketkeeper.
- Umpire Peter Wright consulted with his colleague Mike George at square leg before sending a disappointed batsman on his way.
- Stuart Parkin, back from Australia, ran from deep square leg to mid-wicket to take a superb catch.
1.1A fielder at square leg.
- The first ball was directed over and beyond square leg.
- Owens followed shortly after for 39, pulling a rank long hop into the hands of square leg, and Rob Walker also fell before the total was reached.
- As with his 50, Vaughan went to his century in the grand manner, sweeping Brown over square leg, but the next ball had him lbw as he pushed forward.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan